OPERATION: Thankful-No Matter What
by Tim Werle
“Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations. ” ~Psalm 100:4-5
- Difficulty: 1 (may need to buy some stuff) mainly for gathering materials around household
- Time: 1 hour
- Money: Free – $10
- Weather: Sunny, Rainy, Cloudy, whatever
- Location: Indoors
David’s writing in Psalm 100 demonstrates the idea of thanksgiving very clearly. God is so good and has blessed us beyond what we deserve. He is worthy of our praise and we owe all to Him. Your mission if you choose to accept it is to build a book where you can record your thoughts of thankfulness to God.
- Markers, Colored Pencils Crayons
- Photos, Magazines, Stamps
- Any other arts & crafts supplies of your choice
Making an “Instant Book”
- Fold the paper in half “hotdog style”
- Fold the paper in half “hamburger style”
- Fold in half again “hamburger style”
- Open paper flat again (you should have 8 equal rectangles per side)
- Refold the paper in half “hamburger style”
- Cut or tear through the center fold for 1 section.
- Open the paper flat again.
- Refold “hotdog style”
- Press the two sides towards the center causing the center to open forming a diamond.
- Continue pressing the sides until they meet in the middle.
- Close to form the book (it should have 6 pages)
***watch this unaffiliated example if you need a more visual explanation: “How To Make A Really Little Book” ***
Writing & Illustrating Your Book
Write the following for each page:
- Cover – “Why I’m Thankful In 2011” By (your name here)
- Page1 – Write out Psalm 100
- Page2 – Write, draw, collage, etc. things you are thankful for about your family
- Page3 – Write, draw, collage, etc. things you are thankful for about your country
- Page4 – Write, draw, collage, etc. things you are thankful for about your school
- Page5 – Write, draw, collage, etc. things you are thankful for about your church
- Page6 – Write out a prayer of thanksgiving to God
Sometimes life isn’t always easy. Sometimes family members get sick, people we love go to war, bullies at school make fun of us, parents don’t get along, and moms and dads lose their jobs. In 2 Chronicles 20, Jehoshaphat faced these kinds of big problems. In fact, an entire army was coming to destroy him and his people. It seemed like Jehoshaphat had nowhere to turn, but he chose to run to God. When a HUGE army was coming to destroy him he prayed and he praised! Even though he saw the problem, he trusted that God was going to take care of him. He had joy, no matter what! He and his people sang thanks to God.
“Praise the LORD, For His mercy endures forever.” ~Chronicles 20:21
December 19, 2011
December 11, 2011
November 28, 2011