OPERATION: Memory Stone
by Tim Werle
The Book of Joshua, Chapter 3 and 4, talks about a time when God dried up the Jordan River so that the Israelites could get to the land God had promised them. While crossing the Lord spoke to Joshua and commanded him to have a priest from each tribe pick up a stone from the middle of the dried Jordan and to leave them at the camp that night. Later that night in the Camp Joshua placed 12 stones to form a monument and said, “when ever the Children of Israel ask what these stones are you shall answer them that the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD; when it crossed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. And these stones shall be for a memorial to the children of Israel forever”. Today we will be building “Memory Stones” to represent a something in our lives right now. Just as the children of Israel would see the stones they had set up, we will see our stones and remember.
- Deep side cake tin
- Cement (6 cups to 1-1/2 cup water)
- 1/2 ounce of Cement dye (Optional)
- Wax paper, or plastic wrap (Optional)
- Assorted objects to place in cement (fake jewels, stones, shells, etc…)
- 1 gallon Ziplock Bag or bucket for mixing cement
- 1 quart (sandwich size) Ziplock Bag or a water bottle to mix water and dye
- Measuring Cup
- Bucket of water or hose
- Stick, nail, or pen for writing in cement
- Using a bag or bottle, mix water and dye.
- Place 6 cups of cement in a zip lock bag or bucket.
- Add water to cement and mix well
- Pour mixed cement into pie tin or other container
- Wait 10-30 min until cement is a little firm
- Add a footprint or hand print
- Write you name and date in the cement
- Add anything else you want to tell YOUR story
- If you want crinkle up plastic wrap and place on top of cement. This will give a smother finish with a rock like look.
- Allow time to dry
- Remove from pie tin
- Place in desired location.
- What is important in my life? Write down some of them.
- How can I reflect the important things in my life on my stone?
- What else do I have around that remind me of important things in my life?
- What does the way I live my life say about me?
- What does the music I listen to, shows I watch, and stickers I put on my car say about who I am?
- When people see me can they see a reflection of Jesus in my life?
December 19, 2011
December 11, 2011
November 21, 2011