Operation: Egg Drop
by Tim Werle
How can a camel fit through the eye of a needle when it’s hard enough to get a piece of thread through it? We know that “with God, ALL things are possible” (Matt 19:26) and He enjoys doing things in our lives that seem impossible to man. In today’s Operation, we will be trying to fit an oversized object (egg) through a small opening (bottle) without breaking it and using the scientific principle of pressure to our advantage. Let’s get started…
• Hard-boiled egg, without the shell (XL or Large eggs work the best)
• Glass bottle (with opening smaller than the egg)
• Small piece of paper
- Take the shell off a hard-boiled egg and put aside
- Put a small piece of paper in the open bottle
- Light a match and drop it into the bottle, lighting the paper (***GET PARENT’S
SUPERVISION WHEN USING MATCHES***)
- Be patient, it may take a few times to get the paper lit inside the bottle
- Immediately, place the egg on top of the bottle, completely covering the opening
- Watch what happens to the egg!
- What happened when the egg was put over the opening in the bottle? Why do you think this happened?
- How long did it take?
- Did the egg break apart during the experiment? Why or why not?
- Would you expect a different result if the bottle were made of another material, like
- plastic? If the egg was not hard-boiled?
Matthew 19:24 is often misquoted and taken out of context to show that God does not want His Children to prosper and be rich. When the rabbis taught in Jesus’ days, they spoke in hyperboles to emphasize a point. In Matthew 5:29, Jesus says that “if our right eye causes us to sin, that we are to pluck it out.” God does not want us to do this literally, but to deal violently with our sin (otherwise, we would all be blind). An example: if you have movies that you know are not good to watch and God has put it on your heart to get rid of them, then THROW THEM AWAY TODAY. Don’t put them in your closet to watch later or give them to a friend…throw it away! The real heart of this verse is that God wants us to put Him first in EVERYTHING, including our riches, because if we have a strong grip on the material things of this world, then it will be more difficult to let those go to follow after the Lord completely.
- Can you think of some things that God has done in your life/your family’s lives that
- seemed impossible? List them and thank God for His Glorious plan for your life!
- Why do you think that the rich young ruler went away sad after meeting with Jesus?
- Are there things in your life that you are putting in a higher priority than your
- relationship with God?
- When asked by the Pharisees, what did Jesus say was the greatest commandment?
- Why do you think He picked this one? Why only one and not more?
OPERATION: Time Capsule
December 19, 2011
OPERATION: White As Snow
December 11, 2011
OPERATION: Memory Stone
November 28, 2011