OPERATION: Rocket Man
by Tim Werle
In the Bible 2nd Kings Chapter 2 verse 11 we learn about Elijah’s accession into heaven. Only 2 men have ever done this. Elijah and Enoch. The cool thing is that these men were born of flesh just like you and me. Your mission if you choose to accept it is to build a rocket and see how difficult it can be to keep a straight path to heaven, but guess what. Jesus paid for our sins and we don’t need to be perfect. We just have to believe in Him and have faith.
- Badminton Shuttle Cock
- Light cardboard (like a Soda Box)
- Wire Coat hanger
- Decorations – Pens, Glitter, Stickers, etc.
- Model Rocket engine (Estes A10-3T)
- Rocket Launch Controller or:
- -9v Battery
- -10-20 feet of wire
- -Alligator clips – optional
- Hot glue gun and hot glue
- Hole punch
- Wire Cutter
- Safety Glasses
- Gather the materials needed. Any hobby store will have most of the materials needed and Target, Wal-Mart, or sporting goods stores will have the shuttlecocks (birdies).
Build and install motor mount
- Build motor mount by rolling a 2″ x 3″ piece of light cardboard around the rocket engine.
- Tape the seam to make a small tube.
- Remove rocket.
- Place glue under the nose of the birdie and install the motor mount (tube) as straight up and down as possible and glue in place.
Make and install the center ring
- Cut a circle of cardboard out about 3″ in diameter. This will be the centering.
- Cut out a hole in the center the size of your motor mount.
- Using a hole punch or knife cut a hole for the straw between the center opening edge and the distant edge.
- Install the centering by sliding it up the motor mount until it contacts the birdie skirt.
Install the launch lug
- Attach the Launch Lug. This is the straw.
- Cut it to 1-1/2” and place through the centering to one of the larger holes the birdie skirt and glue to the plastic ring below the rubber tip.
- Decorate, paint, marker, or camouflage your new Rocket.
- You are now ready to launch…
Build the launch pad
- Take the coat hanger and cut off the bottom straight section.
- Stick this in the ground or glue to a suitable base. Pie tin, floor tile, metal… anything that won’t burn.
- Put on your safety glasses.
- Insert a motor into your rocket motor mount and follow the directions on the rocket engine pack.
3, 2, 1… Lift off. Find your rocket and try it again. Follow the observations below and see what happens.
CAUTION: Rocket engines can be dangerous. Rocket Engines can be a fire hazard. Always use in a large open area, follow directions on rocket packaging, and always have adult supervision.
Place the launch rod at the following angles and record your observations:
- Straight up
- Slight angle left or right
- 45 degree to the ground
It’s hard to keep a path to heaven straight. As we could see with our rockets many things in this world distract us. The wind acting against our rocket can give us an insight to how the devil tries to distract us and take us off the path we are trying to follow. If we focus on what is right and the Holy Spirit guides us then we can keep our path to heaven as straight as possible. Will we mess up? Sure. Will it be easy? No. However we can be assured that God will be with us every step of the way. He has promised to never leave our side. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5
- What is causing me to be slightly off course?
- What am I going to do about it?
Get the Digital Workbook with extended lesson guide here!
Want exclusive access to the workbook for FREE? Go to the top or bottom of the page and “Like” us on Facebook and revel the secret link!
Don’t want to go out and get all the materials? We will ship them to you:
|Digital Workbook with Extended Lesson
|Rocket Man Kit:
(1) Badminton Birdie, Light Cardboard, Straw
|Launch Controller Kit:Wire, Battery, and Clips||
|Rocket Engines from EstesDue to shipping restrictions these will need to ordered from Estes||Click Here|
December 19, 2011
December 11, 2011
November 28, 2011